Friday, May 20, 2011

Maintenance work

Finally taking a break from bringing home plants to add to the garden, and getting started with the maintenance part. Weedy grass is slowly encroaching into the beds, so I will need to rent an edger and put some space between the grass and the garden. The garden also needs a good layer of fresh mulch. Last year I tried something different and put down cypress mulch, which I quickly realized just didn’t pack the same punch as natural dark brown hardwood. And then there are the paths that wind and twist between the different beds of shrubs and perennials. I can’t seem to make up my mind as to whether I want to go with small rocks/pebbles/gravel, or large stepping stones with Stepables™ planted between them, like creeping thyme or sedum.

This week I also started working on getting the garden beds edged, and pulling out grass that had started encroaching on the shrubs and perennials. Not the most fun or glamorous part of gardening, but it gives things a nice defined, clean look when the mulch is put down. Hope to have some more pics up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...