Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Pests on my plants!

I knew it was only a matter of time before the usual garden pests would rear their ugly heads again and start "nom-nom-nom" all over my plants. In my garden, they seem to be particularly fond of the leaves of peppers, blueberries, gardenias, Okra, and basil. Since I don't believe in using chemical stuff like RoundUp (made by the same company that produces GMO (genetically modified) seeds), I use a natural, organic, non-toxic spray called EcoSmart. It contains natural plant oils that are safe to use around pets and children. Having been using it now for several months, I can say that it really does work if you spray your plants on a regular basis. It costs 5.97 at Lowes and Home Depot. I also use the same company's other products, their Garden Fungicide and Weed and Grass Killer. Same as their insect spray, they both contain natural plant oils and are very effective at controlling fungi and killing weeds. Of course, I still argue that the best way to keep pests at bay is to keep your plants healthy and vigorous through use of compost and manure amendments, mulching, and companion planting to attract beneficial insects like ladybugs.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...