Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Post-Irene clean up, switching out veggie plants

Super busy this week with my landscaping job, cleaning up yards for clients in the wake of Hurricane Irene. A few big trees down around the neighborhood, but mostly just annoying stuff like branches and twigs and leaves. My garden avoided getting smashed and squashed, for the most part. I had to do some heavy pruning on my butterfly bush and witch alder (Fothergilla 'Mt. Airy') where branches had split and torn. I'm grateful though that I won't have to replace any plants.

After having to take out the tomato plants (squirrels stole or chewed the fruit), and discovering the hard way that our pepper plant is a hot one, I'll be renovating the raised beds next week and replacing those with some newcomers (kale and chard) as well as old veterans like romaine lettuce and spinach. It's already begun to feel like fall out there with temps only getting up to the upper 70s/low 80s with low humidity.  Looking forward to harvesting more veggies over the winter!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...