Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A little planning goes a long way

As I look out the kitchen window this morning, watching the leaves drop from my deciduous flowering shrubs, I’m startled to see where my impulsive plant-buying has led to a garden that looks rather jumbled and randomly planted rather than organized and planned out. For example, I have 3 panicle hydrangeas in the front of the garden bed that block the view of several dwarf fountain grasses and numerous young conifers. These hydrangeas are about 4-5 feet tall and wide, larger than I was anticipating when I bought them a few years ago.

100_0540

Immediately behind the hydrangeas, I planted a Elderberry (Sambucus canadensis), Ninebark (Physocarpus opulifolius), and to the left, a variegated Weigela that neighbors a Honysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens), which in turn sits next to a Witch alder (Fothergilla ‘Mt. Airy’). You get the picture. Consequently, I have some transplanting and moving to do next year, to get the garden in a more orderly appearance. My New Year resolution will be to have a plan in place BEFORE I go to the nursery, or to just resist buying so many plants to begin with, and focus instead on maintenance like getting a path in place around the edge of the garden, and weeding. As my mom is often reminding me, “There’s more to it than just the fun stuff.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...