Saturday, February 25, 2012

And stretch!

The vegetable seeds I planted last week have already germinated! I had bought a cheap $10 seed starting kit at Home Depot, one with a self-watering capillary mat and plastic dome, and peat pods. I planted kale, spinach, broccoli, and romaine lettuce. Everything has germinated well except broccoli, which I’m still waiting on. My difficulty now is keeping the young seedlings from stretching too much, so I’m having to rotate the tray to keep all the seedlings under the light equally.

100_1516

Once the seedlings get their second pair of leaves, I’ll separate them and move them into individual biodegradable pots, and then transplant into the raised beds in mid April (or sooner, as this winter has been quite warm. I have a hunch we’ll see our last frost in March this year rather than April.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...