Sunday, March 25, 2012

Leftovers for sale

There is a benefit to having plants that seed themselves all over the garden: extra income! Last year, I allowed the spent blooms on my butterfly bush to stay on dry up. That fall and winter, the seeds dispersed in numerous spots in the garden and shortly germinated, and now I have lots of Buddleia seedlings ranging from 8-12” high.

100_1351

They sprouted mostly in the paths around the garden, so they would have had to be moved anyway. Since I don’t really have much more room for large shrubs like Butterfly Bush, I’ve potted them up and will likely sell them for $7.50 a piece. Similarly, I have tons of volunteer spiderwort plants (Tradescantia spp.) that are slowly taking over the garden, so those two were dug up and put in pots to be sold. In the next few days, I plan to do the same thing with scores of volunteer Rose of Sharon hibiscus (Hibiscus syriacus) that have popped up as well. What could be better than de-cluttering the garden and making a few extra bucks while you’re at it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...